1 cup dried elderberries
4 cups water
1/8 cup maple syrup*
1. Add water and elderberries to pot and bring to boil
2. Reduce heat to simmer and cover for about 2 hours or until liquid has reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally
3. Remove from heat and let cool completely
4. Pour syrup through sieve into a bowl using a spoon to push down on elderberries to get all the syrup through
5. Whisk in maple syrup
6. Pour into a glass bottle, mark the date you made it and store in fridge. Syrup will keep for up to 3 months.
*You can also use honey, but make sure its raw and local if you choose to use honey
**This is a basic Elderberry syrup recipe. You can also add other immune boosting and cold fighting herbs and spices like echinacea, rose hips, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.